Drawing upon the lessons learned from past and present peacekeeping missions around the globe, the project seeks to produce a package of draft codes that can:
- Provide a criminal law framework that can be adapted for postconflict situations where there are substantial obstacles to identifying appropriate or acceptable applicable laws;
- Serve as a reference tool kit for national and/or international authorities in postconflict environments;
- Fill critical gaps in legislation, or amend existing legislation, in violation of international standards that do not contain adequate measures to deal with the difficulty in restoring law and order in postconflict environments; and
- Serve as a cross-cultural legal tool that draws from a variety of the world’s different legal systems, including common, civil, and Islamic law.
- Rule of Law: Model Codes for Post-conflict Criminal Justice: U.S. Institute of Peace